Monday, January 31, 2011

Wanted: Boning

Yes, you read that correctly. I want boning. Or, more accurately, my sister wants boning.

So she can make a nursing shawl.

Where was your mind??

And so we are presented with today's challenge. If one chooses not to buy a nursing shawl but make one instead, where does one not buy the boning?

My sis and I brainstormed ideas for a Google search:
  • Alternative boning
  • Used boning
  • Preowned boning
  • Recycled boning
None of which didn't make us giggle:)

I turned to Craigslist and was immediately distracted... oh, look, there's some balloons! Wait! I'm writing here. FOCUS! I have needed an office chair for exactly five years and three months. The IKEA piece I have been using can't possibly count as a chair. Something that hurts your back that much, at least, shouldn't be called a chair.

In my dream of dreams, I was hoping to find a moderately priced used Herman Miller chair because:

1) they are built to last--designed for something like 12 years of 24-hour use
2) they are supposed to feel like a firm cloud beneath your tush
3) they're made of over 50% recycled materials
4) they can almost be completely recycled--over 90%

They also retail for about $900. A bit out of my modest artist income capability.

The Craigslist gods worked their magic and bestowed upon me a posting for a "like new" Herman Miller Aeron chair that I'm schedule to pick up today in Virginia. I'm very excited! Hopefully my purchasing hunger will be satiated for a bit.

I'm also headed to Maryland today to play an antique piano that a lovely family is giving away via Freecycle. If all goes well, I'll have a new chair and a new instrument residing in my humble abode by the end of the week.

Take that, parts of my self who think I-need-to-shop-to-make-myself-feel-better!

2 comments:

  1. Your title definitely made me "tee hee" a bit for sure!! Good luck finding good boning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Mission accomplished, Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete